5 Of The Best Bluetooth Earbuds For Working Out (2020 Reviewed)
I always have on the search of the best Bluetooth earbuds for working out, because I love exercising. There are a lot of buds or headphones in the market, claiming to be the best.
However, when I tried some of them, they turned out to be subpar in quality or do not have the that features that I like.
For this reason, I did my research. I am tired of using all the buds that fall off from my ears by each hour when I exercise. I am also tired of using earbuds that do not produce the sound quality that I like.
I wanted to find the best buds that work for me. Here are some of my favorites that I found.
My 5 Best Wireless Bluetooth Earbuds for Working Out
I have three main reasons why I chose these buds as my favorites. The first one is because they can fit well in my ears. Second is the sound quality they produce. Third, is other features such as the design, durability, and the like.
1. Bose SoundSport Free Truly Wireless Headphones
It takes pride in the clear and powerful sound it produces. It fits well in my ears; that is why I feel comfortable wearing them even for workouts that need intense movements.
The Bluetooth signal is strong. Even though my device is in my hands or across the room, I can still do whatever I want. I can walk the treadmill without holding my phone. I can use my hands freely without worrying that my music will go off once I put my device down.
- Fits well
- Superior Sound Quality
- Poor Noise Isolation
- The Bluetooth connectivity allows me to move my arms and body in all directions for Zumba sessions or jogging. I can freely do so because there is no wire on the way.
- It makes use of StayHear+ Sport Tips, which is another reason why these earbuds do not fall out easily from the ears. The tips adjust according to the size of the ears.
- It is sweatproof. I can exercise without fear of getting my buds wet or moist.
- It allows complete control. I can connect it with the Bose Connect app, where I can customize my device’s settings. If I lose the earbuds, I can easily find them with this app.
- It has a strong signal. I love placing my device on top of a table and leave it there to exercise across the room. Even if I am away from my phone, the music continues to play in these buds.
- It can last up to five hours if I exercise 30 minutes to an hour a day for five days. The charge in this device can last me for about a week.
2. Powerbeats Pro Wireless Earbuds
What makes the Powerbeats Pro one of the best buds for me is that it can connect to an iOS device quickly, which is also its unique feature. This device is comfortable to the ears because of the ear hooks that secure the buds in place.
With this device, I can exercise or run for long hours without any worries. Even if I sweat because of my workout, I know that this device will not break because it is sweatproof. It is one of my handiest workout companion that allows me to exercise at my maximum potential.
- Easy iOS pairing
- Consistent playback
- Comfortable fit
- Long battery life
- Bulky case
- Lacking in the bass
- Lacking in noise isolation feature
- The nine hours of battery life is one of its best For me, it is one of the best buds for running, especially for marathons or events where we need to stay for hours.
- It connects via Bluetooth, which allows us to move freely and quickly.
- It is sweatproof, which allows us to sweat as much as we want without worrying that we can damage our buds.
- It has a strong signal. We can still listen to our music from our device clear and crisp even if our phone is at the opposite end.
- It has ear hooks that do not allow our device to fall out as we move.
- It makes use of Apple H1 Chip that allows us to connect to our iOS device fast.
3. Jaybird Vista True Wireless
Why I chose the Jaybird Vista as one of the best buds for me is its iPX7 waterproof rating. It is a useful feature because it only does not keep our sweat out of the device’s interior; it also allows us to exercise even under severe weather. For this reason, we cannot use the weather as an excuse not to exercise.
Its compact size is also its unique quality. Although this feature is not extremely important, its small size allows us to keep this device inside small pockets of our garments or bags. It ensures that we feel comfortable wearing them as we workout.
- Compact case
- High-end sound quality
- Fast connection
- Comfortable fit
- No noise isolation feature
- It connects through Bluetooth, which makes making a lot of movements easier. We do not have to worry about accidentally tugging on the cables as we exercise.
- It is compact. Although earbuds are compact, the Jaybird Vista is even smaller. I like small buds because they make it easier for me to keep them in my small pockets.
- It has an IPX7 waterproof rating. Having this rating allows me to train hard. It is a useful feature for serious athletes who need to workout train even under severe weather.
- It has a customizable equalizer that allows us to maximize our listening experience. We only have to download an app and connect our device to it.
- It secures fitly in our ears because of the EarGels that can fit any ear-size.
4. JLab Audio JBuds Air Icon True Wireless
The JBuds Air Icon has a lot of features to offer. These features allow us to exercise at our maximum potential. The IP55 rating ensures that sweat and dirt do not damage the internal parts of the earbuds. Running for miles is possible.
The control feature is what I like the best. The touch sensor that controls our device hands-free is an example. The customizable equalizer is also available, which makes our listening experience enjoyable as we exercise.
- High-end sound quality
- iP55 water and dust resistant rating
- Less responsive buttons
- No turn-off mode on the equalizer
- It makes use of the dual auto-connect that allows us to use one or both earbuds. Upon using, they connect to our phone automatically.
- The automatic on-switch enables us to use the earbuds right away once we take them out of the case.
- The high IP55 rating ensures that the buds are safe from dirt and moisture that can damage the internal devices.
- The touch sensors enable us to control music or calls without taking our phones. We only have to touch and hold a button on our earbuds to control what we hear.
- The extended playtime can last up to 6 hours, plus 18 hours because of the case. If we exercise for one hour every day, five days a week, these earbuds can last for more than a week.
- The upgraded microphone allows us to talk to other people clearly when we answer calls.
- The customizable equalizer mode lets us enjoy our music to make our workout more fun. We can choose among the Balanced Boost Mode, Bass Boost Mode, and JLab Signature mode.
- Its compact size allows us to take it with us anywhere because it can fit any pocket or bag size.
5. Jabra Elite Active 65T Earbuds
The Jabra Elite Active 65T is one of the best earbuds for me because of the several features it offers. This device provides comfort and usability. It comes with three different sizes of ear tips, and we can control or the music we hear by connecting it with an app.
These earbuds are highly durable too. Its water and dust resistant features allow us to exercise even if we sweat a lot or if we have to run for hours outdoors.
- High-end sound quality
- Long battery life
- Comfortable fit
- App connectivity
- It has stable Bluetooth We can freely move our hands or jump and share our bodies all we want without experiencing drop-outs in our listening experience.
- The IP56 dust and water resistance rating is among the factors that this device will last long. Sweat, raindrops, and dust cannot penetrate its internals and ruin it.
- A total of 15 hours of battery life allows us a playtime of up to 5 hours and an additional 10 hours because of the charging case.
- It comes with three pairs of EarGels, which we can select from according to the fit of our ear canal.
- It makes use of HearThrough technology that allows us to be aware of our environment while we work out because it filters sounds around us.
- We can easily customize the sound we hear by connecting to the JabraSound+ app. With this app, we can personalize our listening experience based on our surroundings, mood, etc. We can control them using any voice assistant we use on our phone.
- The open back high-resolution certified audio allows us to hear natural sounds by giving it much transparency. Therefore, the sounds effects of guns, cars, and the like in games sound clear.
- The angled placement of the drivers fit the natural ear’s position, which allows direct channeling of sounds for a better listening experience.
- The Layered Motion Control (LMC) contains layers of damping gel that soften extreme frequencies to create smooth, balanced, and pleasant sounds.
- The adjustable hammock under the headband and foam-cushioned earpads allow us to play for long hours without causing fatigue to the head and ears.
- The double-layered ear shells reduce vibration and resonance to create pleasant sounds that feel comfortable to the ears.
These selected products are what I think are the best based on my personal preference and research. I chose these buds based on comfort because we do not want them to fall off our ears while exercising.
I also selected those that have water and dust-resistant feature. We sweat as we exercise. There are times that we run outdoors for miles where we expose our devices to pollution, raindrops, and dust.
Other than these essential considerations, I also consider the extra features like the sound-quality, connectivity, and the like.
If you want to find the best product for yourself on your own, here are the factors that you should remember.
Know the Difference Between Earbuds, Headphones, and Earphones?
Many people use these words interchangeably. It is crucial to know which of these devices we should pick if we want to get the best product for ourselves because they are different in a few ways.
Headphones are worn over the ear. There is always a headband that connects the earcups.
There are subtypes of headphones too. These are open-back and closed-back, and each has its features and pros and cons.
However, if you ask me if headphones are suitable for exercising, it is possible, but I do not recommend it.
The main reason is that it is bulky. We need to provide extra space in our bag for headphones. Running will also be uncomfortable because we have to bear some weight on our head.
Yet, if you still prefer to use headphones for running, choose the one that has a headband and weight that feel comfortable for you. You should also select the ones that still enable you to hear your surroundings to avoid accidents. Wireless headphones are also a better choice because it allows us to move.
In-ear headphones are the other term for earphones. Instead of the cups resting outside the ear, earphones rest up into the ear canal that locks at the concha.
Most earphones provide a comfortable fit because of the wide variations of cushions that go along with the product. You can also ask an audiologist to customize the right fit for you. Earphones also generally produce excellent sound quality.
If you ask me if I recommend earphones for exercise, my answer is it depends. There are different earphones in the market nowadays, which are generally more expensive than earbuds. One of the essential considerations is it should be wireless.
If you want to find the best Bluetooth earphones for working out, choose the one that has an active noise cancellation feature that you can turn on or off. You can also select the ones that do not have this feature.
Earbuds rest by the outer ear’s center by the concha ridge. Compared to earphones, the placement of earbuds is outside the ear canal. Because of its position, many earbuds do not have a noise-canceling feature.
Many earbuds do not have available cushions that ensure the right fit. However, earbuds are generally less expensive than earphones.
If you ask me if buds are better options for exercising, my answer is it still depends. As mentioned, many earbuds in the market do not have available cushions in them, which makes them more likely to fall as we exercise.
However, I prefer earbuds personally more than the earphones because the former do not entirely cancel the ambient noise. It will be safer for us to run outside without any worries of missing the honks of the vehicles around. Best earbuds also have available cushions for a secure fit.
I also prefer earbuds because they are generally economical than earphones with the same features.
Features That You Need to Choose for Finding the Best Earbuds for Working Out
If you prefer to do your exercise indoors, like in a gym, battery life is not a problem. After all, you can just look for an electrical outlet and charge your buds. However, when you are running outdoors or in an event, it is best to look for the ones that have a long battery life.
As mentioned, earbuds generally do not provide a secure fit because most do not have available extra cushions, and their size is often one-size-fits-all. However, some products go with cushions with available sizes.
It is best if you can the ones that have ear-clips or ear-fins. You do not want them to fall from your ears while you jog and spend your time finding them on the street.
Even though earbuds are smaller than headphones, it does not mean that all of them are comfortable enough. Many of them are still bulkier than the others, which can be annoying and distracting at times.
Choosing Bluetooth buds over the corded ones is advisable for obvious reasons. The wireless connection allows you to enjoy your music while exercising without restricting your movements. You can jump, dance, or move your arms in all directions without any boundaries.
You also do not have to worry about your earbuds being yank out of your ears as you use a piece of fitness equipment — frequent cable yanking causes damage to the earbuds
It is advisable to choose the buds that have a loud maximum volume feature.
This feature is an essential consideration because gyms can be noisy at most times. Jogging outside can also be noisy because of the vehicles and people chattering around. If you own earbuds that have loud maximum volume, you can still hear your music even though people are noisy in the background.
Water or Dust Resistance
As humans, we sweat as we workout. If you prefer running or jogging as your morning or evening exercise, you also want to do it outside your house, of course. Because of these factors, it is advisable to look for earbuds that have water and dust-resistant features.
It is advisable to find the one that has IPX 5 to 6 rating.
Take note that having this feature does not mean that you can swim while wearing them. This feature only protects your earbuds internals from sweat, dust, and raindrops.
To make the most out of your earbuds, make sure that your selected product has the features mentioned.
Select the ones with ear tips of different sizes that come along with your device. If not, make sure that it has ear clips or fins so that your buds will not fall out of your ears as you move.
It is also vital to consider hygiene. Make sure to clean your earbuds, because you do not want to risk your ears with infection. Your investment to your buds will go to waste if you damage your ears.
There are a lot of audio devices available in the market. There are headphones, earphones, and earbuds. Each of them has its advantages and disadvantages.
However, as for working out, the best selection is the earbuds because they do not cancel the noise around you entirely.
The products I mentioned here are wireless and allow Bluetooth connectivity, which means that we can move our hands and body in any way we want without any distractions. They are also resistant to dust and water that we can still use them when we sweat as we run for miles in a long road.
Are you looking for a gaming headphone that is revolutionary? here is our guide on the best open back headphones for gaming as we are also a experience gamer that enjoys good gaming surround sound music!
The answer is it depends on what kind of exercise you do. According to the team lead by Dr. Costas Karageorghis, a sports psychologist from Brunel University in London, there are genres of music that are best for a specific exercise. They also found out that listening to the wrong style can inhibit your performance.
The team claims that if your work out includes running and stretching, the best genre would be rap music. If you are into strength training, dance music is the perfect choice for it. If you are cooling down or warming up, pop music is an excellent choice.
The team came up with this conclusion by analyzing the almost 7 million playlists on Spotify that contain the word “workout.” The team compared the songs to some exercises with beats per minute (bpm).
For example, the typical stride rate per minute for running or jogging is around 150 to 190. To come up with the bpm, the team halved the stride rate per minute, which is about 75 to 95 bpm for a 150 to 190 stride rate. That 75 to 95 value is the bpm in rap music that compliments the running work out.
The team also found out that most of the rap music lyrics imbibe physical energy, which makes it an ideal choice for running or jogging.
The dance genre is ideal for weight training because of its fast rhythm that prepares the trainers mentally for their session.
Pop music has regular beats and rhythm, which suits for repetitive exercises like cool down and warm-ups.
The doctor said that it is advisable to select songs that are nostalgic about one's childhood because it makes the trainer feel young and healthy. He added that having a motivational playlist is also advisable so that if one feels like giving up because of fatigue or breathlessness, the trainer will inspire you to continue.
The psychologist also advises avoiding rock music because of the tempo fluctuations that can affect the rhythm of your work out.
Music does affect the brain when we exercise. You probably have noticed it yourself when you feel like moving faster and more vigorously on your work out while listening to your favorite exercise playlist.
If you are looking for a scientific basis for the benefits of music in exercise, there are lots of them. One example is the study in 2006, where the researchers found out that the participants traveled further distance at a faster speed without feeling tired when they listened to music with a fast tempo.
According to another expert, the sport psychologist Dr. Costas Karageorghis, music can improve work out in one of two ways. It either increases the athlete’s capacity to work or delay fatigue. What he found out in 2010 was that listening to music while exercising leads to higher levels of strength, endurance, productivity, and power.
The author of "This Is Your Brain on Music," who is also a neuroscientist, Dr. Daniel Levitin, said that this connection of music, brain, and exercise is possible because of the two mechanisms. It is either the music is acting like a distraction or a mood enhancement. The doctor said that it is still unknown, which of these is the probable reason.
According to the neuroscientist, distractors like music take our attention away from the pain. He compared the experience of the wounded soldiers in combat. These soldiers are not aware of their injury until they are not busy fighting at all.
Music acts as a mood enhancer because it helps release the feel-good chemicals called the opioids and dopamine in the brain. These feel-good chemicals have the capacity to dull pain, which is why you are less likely to experience fatigue. It may also improve your mood, which inspires you to boost your performance.
Also, according to Dr. Levitin, our neurons can go in-sync with the tempo of the music. This synchronization helps us bear and feel motivated to do repetitive movements like we do when we exercise.
The answer is it depends on how responsible and knowledgeable you are on the pros and cons of wearing headphones during your workout session.
Wearing headphones for running and exercise works like a double-edged sword. One edge is that you can privately listen to your music while working out without bothering anyone around you. The other one is that without safety precautions, it might get you into trouble.
One way that headphones might get you into trouble is when you listen to your music at a loud volume that can cause issues to the vestibular system. Another is that it can eliminate the ambient sounds around you. Because of the noise-canceling feature of some headphones, you do not get to hear the passing vehicles or pedestrians around you.
Another problem is that when your headphone is corded, it may restrict your movements. If you do not observe proper hygiene, and if you do not clean your headphones often, bacteria may inhabit your device and cause infection.
Like the headphones, earbuds can also cause problems if you use them irresponsibly or if you do not take care of yourself. The good thing is that you can avoid these dangerous scenarios with responsible usage of your device.
However, compare to headphones, earbuds are better options. Earbuds can still allow you to hear what is going on to your surroundings because of its placement in your ear.
You should keep your music at a low volume so that you will not do any damage to your ears.
Lastly, clean your earbuds often. Visit your ENT doctor to have your ears cleaned.